Ethiopia, in the horn of Africa, is the most populous land-locked country in the world. It bears a significant burden of parasitic worm infections but we’re supporting the Ministry of Health to implement a multi-year national programme for the control and elimination of these diseases.
• Programme start date: 2013
• Treatments delivered in FY17/18: 6,190,356^
• Numbers treated to date: 23,874,739^
• Programme coverage status: Scaling up to reach all at-risk SAC^^
Meet Kibet (right), a primary school student in Ethiopia. Learn more about how the programmes we support have helped him.
* Data from WHO schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth database.^ For every treatment provided against schistosomiasis, treatments are also offered against intestinal worm infections where both diseases are present. Treatment numbers are for schistosomiasis only and dating from 2010 when the current reporting system was established. Numbers from January 2019. ^^ We support the programme in-line with the country’s strategic plan. As such, individuals other than school-age children may be treated.