Madagascar, one of the largest islands in the world, is a low-income country that has suffered from several years of reduced international aid. In most endemic areas in the country, people have gone untreated for many years. We’re supporting the Ministry of Public Health and Education to reach the largest possible number of people.
• Programme start date: 2014
• Treatments delivered in FY17/18: 4,403,875^
• Numbers treated to date: 7,325,126^
• Programme coverage status: Scaling up to reach all at-risk school-age children^^
* Data from WHO schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth database.^ For every treatment provided against schistosomiasis, treatments are also offered against intestinal worm infections where both diseases are present. Treatment numbers are for schistosomiasis only and dating from 2010 when the current reporting system was established. Numbers from January 2019. ^^ We support the programme in-line with the country’s strategic plan. As such, individuals other than school-age children may be treated.