A majority of Niger’s population lives in rural areas and almost half of Nigerians live below the poverty line. Access to clean water and sanitation is a daily challenge, but by supporting the Ministry of Health we’ve helped to deliver over 10 million treatments and have reached all at-risk school-age children.
• Programme start date: 2003
• Treatments delivered in FY17/18: 3,681,923^
• Numbers treated to date: 10,909,121^
• Programme coverage status: Targeting all at-risk school-age children^^
* Data from WHO schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth database.
^ For every treatment provided against schistosomiasis, treatments are also offered against intestinal worm infections where both diseases are present. Treatment numbers are for schistosomiasis only and dating from 2010 when the current reporting system was established. Numbers from January 2019.
^^ We support the programme in-line with the country’s strategic plan. As such, individuals other than school-age children may be treated.