Parasitic worm infections often trap people in a cycle of poverty, and almost a quarter of the population in Uganda is living below the poverty line. We’re supporting the local government to eliminate these infections.
• Programme start date: 2002
• Treatments delivered in FY17/18: 1,974,241^
• Numbers treated to date: 4,630,950^
• Programme coverage status: Targeting all at-risk school-age children^^
* Data from WHO schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth database.^ For every treatment provided against schistosomiasis, treatments are also offered against intestinal worm infections where both diseases are present. Treatment numbers are for schistosomiasis only and dating from 2010 when the current reporting system was established. Numbers from January 2019. ^^ We support the programme in-line with the country’s strategic plan. As such, individuals other than school-age children may be treated.